© St Bridget and St Cwyfan 2019
THE PARISH OF TRELAWNYD - appears to have been formed in the latter half of the 13th century. It originally formed a part of the Parish of Dyserth and the first reference to it is found in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291, where it is referred to as “Ecclesia de Deyserth, cum capella sua de rywlyfnwyd.” Interestingly, the Parish of Trelawnyd, originally a chapelry or daughter church of Dyserth, and becoming a Parish in its own right in the early 1800’s, has since mid - 1970’s been grouped once again with that Parish.
THE CHURCHYARD CROSS - On the south side of the Church there is a Churchyard Cross, probably late 12th century in origin. The cross, now much weather worn, stands 11' 7" high. the capital is octagonal, having four niches. Two of these still contain figures. On the eastern side can be seen St John the beloved disciple, and the Blessed Virgin Mary watching at the cross. The western face depicts the crucifixion - a crown of thorns encircles the head of our Lord, and the hair descends to the outstretched arms. It is probable that the cross predates any church building, and that itinerant priests would have taken services in its shadow.
THE PARISH CHURCH - of St Michael and All Angels is small, only 55' long and 19' broad. In 1724 the church was rebuilt and put in good repair. This date is recorded on the exterior of the east wall above the window. Above this stone is another date, probably 1862 or 63, and recording the next occasion it was found necessary to repair the church. On this occasion the roof was reslated with Bangor slate, two coats of plaster were laid on, and other repair work undertaken. The next major restoration took place in 1895-97 under the direction of the Chester architect John Douglas who built and restored many churches in North Wales and Cheshire. Under his direction, plaster was removed from the walls, the stones pointed, the chancel laid with encaustic tiles, and the old roof cleaned and varnished. It was during this restoration that the gallery was removed and a new east window installed. In 1983 the next restoration was carried out - at this time the roof was reslated. Since then other work has been done - the church has been rewired, the organ restored and rebuilt, and the west wall, bellcote and the porch have been repointed. The stained glass windows have been provided with new window guards. It is hoped to replace the heating system in the near future, and also to treat the whole building for woodworm infestation.
THE REGISTERS - date from 1698. An interesting entry on the last page of the oldest parish register refers to the interest of £5 given by Mr Wynne of 'Cappeleini' for the purchase of 4 yards of flannel for four old men or women who were to 'draw lots' or 'throw dice for it in the porch on Easter Monday' after the Morning Service. This he did out of gratitude to one Alice Jones, the late wife of Robert Hughes, late of the parish of Dymeirchion' who entered into his service and supported him when she believed him to be in debt and his 'conscience a distracted condition.
THE CHURCH CONTAINS SEVERAL - interesting 19th and 20th century stained glass windows
THE EAST WINDOW - by Hemming , was fixed at the time of the restoration in 1897. It was the gift of Mrs Nicholson, a daughter of Edward and Anne Roberts, the Black Boy Hotel, and depicts the Crucifixion, with our Lady and St John and Mary of Magdala, watching at the foot of the cross.
THE RESURRECTION WINDOW - in the north wall of the nave was dedicated on Ascension Day 1930, and was the gift of Miss Parry, Ellenholme, St Asaph Street, Rhyl, in memory of her parents who loved at Ty Mawr, (where the Village Memorial Hall now stands). It depicts the women at the empty tomb.
THE CHANCEL WINDOWS - were dedicated in 1969, and made by the well known glass makers Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. They were the gift of the late Miss E.L.Roberts. The window in the north wall of the chancel depicts the Nativity of our Lord, and that in the south wall , Jesus, the Good Shepherd. They are good examples of 20th century stained glass, and glow with vibrant colours.
THE FONT - is of stone. It is a plain octagon in shape, with a circular basin. The mediaeval basin has been placed on a modern base. It was moved in 1925 to its present central position at the west end of the Church. The present oak cover was provided in 1968.
THE ALTAR - of oak was given by associates and members of the Girl's Friendly society in 1929. The Parish for many years had a thriving branch of the GFS. It's banner is still displayed in the Sanctuary.
THE PULPIT - was obtained in March 1936, when it was bought from Kinmel School sale.
THE LECTERN - was given in 1899 by M.A.Ralli, Esq., JP, of Mia Hall. Mr Ralli was a local benefactor, and also donated the Memorial Hall in the Village. On the two sides can be read the inscription 'Be ye doers of the Word.
THE ORGAN - was installed in December 1920 and electrified in 1951-52. It was built by the Positive Organ Company, which was founded by the organ builder Casson of Denbigh. It is situated on the north side of the chancel. the previous organ stood in the extreme south west corner of the church. It was removed in December 1926, having been disused for several years. This organ had been purchased towards the end of 1862 through the generosity of Edward Bates of Gyrn. The Vestry Minute Book records the following: 'The letter was read and contained and offer of £50 towards the reroofing of the church, and an organ, provided that one English Service is given in the Parish Church every Sunday.
THE CHALICE - bears the inscription 'The cuppe of Rhywlyfnwyd', and is of the same form and date as that of the neighbouring Parish of Gwaenysgor - 1549. the Church also possesses more modern silver - a chalice and paten, ciborium, wafer box, baptismal shell, flagon and plate.
THE PAINTING - entitled "I AM" , is to be seen over the Vestry Door and was painted by Leonard Hughes, RA, a local artist who was also somewhat eccentric and a recluse. It was presented to the Church on 1919, as memorial to the Officers and Men of Flintshire who fell in the Great War. It is said that local people, including the then Rector modelled for some of the various figures depicted in the painting.
THE VESTRY - was built outside the North Door of the Church, the gift of the then Rector, the Rev'd S. Aurelius Jones. It was also built as a memorial to those from the villlage who died in the first World War.
It was dedicated by the Bishop of St Asaph, the Rt Rev'd Alfred George Edwards, later to become the first Archbishop of Wales
|History of St Bridget and St Cwyfan|
|History of St Michael and All Angels|
|St Michael and All Angel's Trelawnyd|
|Dyserth Flower Festival 2005|
|Walsingham Pilgrimage 2007|
|Dyserth Christmas Tree Festival 2007 Gallery 1|
|Dyserth Christmas Tree Festival 2007 Gallery 2|
|Dyserth at Christmas 2007|
|Dyserth Harvest Festival 2008|
|Dyserth Easter Flowers 2009|
|Dyserth Christmas Tree Festival 2010|
|King James Bible Exhibition 2011|
|Dyserth Harvest Festival 2011|
|Dyserth Easter Flowers 2012|